Saturday, February 13, 2010

Adventures in machine quilting.

A few weeks before Christmas I ordered a set of 7 fat quarters of the Deer Valley line by Joel Dewberry from Whipstitch. They had their store flooded recently and some of the fabric got wet. So, they washed it, dried it, and rewrapped the fabric on the bolts. And then sold it at a discounted price! They were having an in store sale that wasn't being offered online (I asked!) so, she sent me half yard cuts instead of fat quarters! Whoo-hoo! So, after making two nearly identical quilts below, I still have at least a quarter yard of each fabric left to make something more.

This first quilt was a baby shower gift and my first attempt at machine quilting a whole quilt with the walking foot I got for my birthday last summer. The quilting went well. It took longer than expected, but it got done. The binding, however, was a different story. I broke three needles putting it on! Two broke on the same corner, and one as I literally took the last stitch! Unfortunately, I didn't have time to wash it and get the quilting line marks out of it before photographing and giving it.




This is the second quilt-a bit washed out in the photo, but not in person. This one I had a bit more problems with the quilting, but I'm still getting used to it. I did spiraling squares this time around. It definitely took less time to quilt but still has that comfy quilt feeling to it because of the quilting.



I'm working on a full size quilt for my sister now-which will be done by tomorrow! I keep breaking needles, which is really annoying, and I guess I have to just sew it incredibly slowly to keep from doing it. I will put pictures up when I am done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The quilts look lovely! So I'll be seeing you tomorrow?
-Brittany